What's all this never ending talk about menu-planning?!? Here's why I do it:
1) It saves time. By sitting down to plan all my meals for the week at one time, I am more time efficient.
2) It saves money. Less last minute trips to the store and the ability to plan my menu around the week's sales shaves LOTS of dollars off of our grocery budget (which is currently $50/week for our family of 3).
3) Having a plan helps the hours between 4-6 pm go more smoothly.
4) We get our veggies in. Actually, our overall menu is healthier when it's planned out. If I don't do a menu plan, I tend to not even buy enough veggies.
5) I spend less time on my actual grocery shopping trip because I know exactly what I'm coming for.
With that said, here are some fabulous menu planning helps for both newbie and seasoned menu planners:
Monthly Meal Planning from Life As Mom.
Meal Planning For Wimps from Life As Mom.
Meal Planning For Beginners from Life As Mom.
5 Simple Ways to Menu Plan by The Happy Housewife
Menu Planning Resources from Org Junkie. This includes a list of recipe sites, menu planning help sites, and more.
Print-outs: Pick your fav!
Weekly-Meal-Grid from Life As Mom.
Menu With Grocery List from Life As Mom.
Printable planners for grocery lists, menu planning and more from Erin at $5 Dinners.
Menu Planning Template from Org Junkie (the queen of menu planning herself!).
Some of my favorite menu plan printables are from Organized Home (just found this through a google search!). See her entire page of household notebook printables here. I feel like I just struck gold (you know me and my crazy love of LISTS...)!
So, without further ado, here is our menu for the week:
(P.S. Did I mention that we hardly got to anything on our menu plan last week due to my illness? Yes, and we definitely went over budget due to five million small grocery trips. But you do what you've gotta do!)
Breakfasts: Homemade Yogurt, Granola, Toast with Pluot Jam
Lunches: Leftovers, Salads
Dinners by Weeknight:
Tuesday--BBQ Ribs in the Crockpot with Mashed Potatoes and Green Beans
Wednesday--Chicken and Veggie Stir-Fry
Thursday--Dinner at home group
Friday--Chili and cornbread
Saturday--Pizza Night, with salads
I would love to hear if any of the above menu planning resources are helpful to you and/or if you have some resources yourself to share with us...
Linked to Menu Plan Monday.